What is your idea for a themed restaurant?
I suggested Dirt:
The dishes are made from worms, mealy bugs, and other creatures from the dirt.
Woman fakes kidnapping to avoid work – Yahoo! News:
A 21-year-old German woman who did not feel like going to work at a fast food restaurant sent her parents a text message saying she had been kidnapped.
Police in the Bavarian town of Straubing said Wednesday they had launched a massive search throughout the region for the woman who disappeared on December 23 but turned up unscathed the following morning, saying the kidnapper had set her free.
A spokesman said the woman was questioned over the Christmas holiday and admitted she made up the story because she owed a colleague 25 euros ($32.9) and did not have the money to pay her debt. She now faces a fine of up to 1,000 euros.
She did this to avoid paying 25 euros. So what is she going to do for the fine of 1,000 euros, fake her own death? I mean, I feel like I would like to skip work at times. If I owed a coworker 3 times my hourly wage and didn’t have it, then I probably would be thinking about how to get out of it. However, faking a kidnapping seems like a really bad idea.
Lacey’s story about her first brush with racism in Houston reminds me that they were well intentioned. I am not very hard on such people because my so very white grandmother has made similar comments. Hers was that the neighborhood was suffering from all the crime, the specific example was that my bike was stolen out of our yard. Actually it was stolen by a white kid on the street.
Despite that my father is black and my mother (her daughter) is white, to my grandmother I wasn’t black. I pointed out that to most people who make similar comments who don’t know me consider me black and part of the crime problem because I am black. She never made such a comment again (at least in my presence). I was 13 or 14 at the time.
A couple years later, a guy who was part of my “crew” told me he believed it was morally wrong for blacks and whites to interbreed. However, he didn’t consider me a bad person. I was highly offended at the time. It took a while for me to understand people have lines they consider good or bad, but the line can be easily moved at whim.
Being a mixed kid, race is something I have to deal with almost every day. For the most part, I have come to have blinders to many things that upset those who are still sensitive. There are plenty of opportunities to get upset:
- Slow service at a restaurant.
- Sales people following me in a store.
- Police officers stopping the path changing directions to shadow me.
- Evil glares from women of African descent when I am with a woman of European descent.
- Assumptions about my intelligence.
- Assumptions about my athletic ability.
Why get upset over other people’s ignorance when it doesn’t have an impact on me? The police officer who arrests me just because I am “black” would, of course, have a lawsuit coming.
This is just a personal exercise to track what I have done and might ought to try.
Done To-Do No way
Welcome to MY world: 31 ways for you to use your blog
Not sure what to blog about? You can blog about anything that interests you. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Keep a daily journal of your life.
- Post a quote du jour.
- Document your daily successes.
- List your goals.
- Describe a recent adventure.
- Compliment a friend.
- Write a restaurant review.
- Detail a recent date.
- List your favorite hang outs.
- Share a poem of yours.
- Offer tips in your area of expertise.
- Write about your favorite hobby.
- Describe a class you’re taking.
- Review a movie.
- Gossip about celebrities, coworkers, or friends.
- Outline your diet and exercise plan.
- Share interesting bits of information.
- Rate a book you’ve read.
- Describe your dreams.
- Write an editorial about a current event.
- Ask questions of other bloggers.
- Share jokes and funny stories.
- Describe a project you’re working on.
- Tell heart-warming pet stories.
- Offer dating or parenting advice.
- Write a short story.
- Speculate about the direction of the stock market.
- Highlight your favorite clothing stores.
- Share a mouth-watering recipe.
- Post a photo of the day.
- Share twenty things others should know about you.
I like Hildegard’s here in Valdosta. I just do not seem to get there often.