Web site: columbusstate.edu/degreein3
Mary Covington, Executive Director, IT Services, Columbus State University
Notes from session:
- Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation grant.
- Degree in 3 years. 1st year get a certificate. 2nd year get an Associates. 3rd year get a degree.
- $18,000 degree.
- At least 1/3rd low income.
- Early intervention.
- All online courses. Standardization of course design.
- Session talk:
- Columbus State University owns computers and loan to students for 3 years. (After graduation, student keeps the computer.)
- Proctored tests. Google Chromebooks, but Lockdown browser does not work on them. ProctorU used instead.
- Since all the data really is up in the cloud, easily exchange the machine.
- Students signed commitment letter to send the machine back. Only close call, the student changed mind after talking to an advisor.
- 100% online degree technical support, 24/7 campus support, outsource after hours.
- Lessons learned:
- Know the funding plan
- Do not specify type of technology in the grant.
- IT people make IT decisions.
- Vendors will try to coerce.
- Know purchasing processes.
- Just in time purchasing is hard.
- Warranty process not well understood.
- Students already have access to a computer or library already.
- Next steps
- In year 3 of 3.
- 4 more sessions.