Recap of Vista Stuff

It has been a hectic week. A recap…

Java certificate fix – Yesterday, August 23rd, the certificate distributed in various Java applets expired. The community discovered the issue and informed Blackboard who put out a fix for the more current products on August 15th. Many customers are leery of having such little lead time to test, verify, and install a fix. Well, Vista 3.0.7.17 was also reported to have the problem, but Blackboard didn’t provide a fix until the 20th after I got my TSM to verify it really still is a problem on the 18th. (The corrected 3.0.7.17.8 version was provided August 21st. Why is in the next paragraph.)

The fix for Vista 3 required us to be on 3.0.7.17.8 (hotfix 8 which we had not yet applied), had references to the “webctapp” directory (in Vista 3 it is applications), and distributed a webct.sh script to add updateWar which didn’t work with Vista 3. FAIL. Thankfully we have modified War files in the past, so adding the updates was more work and accomplished before Blackboard provided a corrected version.

To see the Java certificates in Windows: Control Panel > Java > Security > Certificates. The Blackboard ones are verified by Thawte (the Certificate Authority). The old one is issued to Blackboard. The new one is issued to dc.blackboard.com.

Vista 3.0.7.17.8 – This hotfix was released a couple weeks ago. However, since the priority has been the migration to Vista 8, this was on hold. The previous problem made us step up and throw this into production. The testers went to heroic efforts to get this and the certifcate fix tested. Testing was mixed.

  1. Losing session cookie because of Office 2007 in Internet Explorer. Happened less often post fix, but still happens in some cases.
  2. Autosignon MAC2. Mode to allow insecure MAC works to give the one school using it time to correct update their portal to use MAC2. Originally the plan was to let them work out MAC2 in test.

Slammed by our users…

  1. systemIntegrationApi.dowebct – The school using the autosignon wanted to have the correct consortiaId to create the MAC. Some time back in January they started calling this any time users tried to login because a handful (guess was ~12) have had their username changed. So the autosignon failed. Yes, they were sent us 25,000 requests in a busy day (about 20% of the queues were working on these during the day) to handle potential 12 problems in a term. FAIL.
  2. pmSelfRegister.dowebt – One of the clusters started to have issues. Two nodes went crappy. I looked at the Weblogic console and found all of the failing nodes had no free spots in the queues. 90% of the queues were working on these. Much of this is because the requests were hanging around for at least 4800 seconds (an hour is 3600 seconds). At about 6000 seconds the cluster recovered when the queues cleared.I think the queues cleared because I changed to false a couple settings:
    • Allow users to register themselves as a Student in a section = false
    • Allow users to register themselves as an Auditor in a section = false

    As I recall, we only had about 22 queue spots open (out of 308) across the whole cluster. We got lucky.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: