Blackboard support wants a backup of a section to replicate the instructor claimed behavior. Fine. I started making the backup, but I ended up closing the browser to go home.
This morning, when I checked, the backup was not in the Vista file manager at the course level where I created it. So, I created another backup. That one was created at the course level as the first should have been.
Independently, I checked the web server logs and discovered the first had completed. So, it should have been put in the Vista file manager. The next place I looked was the institution level. Sure enough, the section archive was there.
So, I guess this means there is an operation that takes place in a subsequent web page to move the section archive from the institution learning context to the course learning context. Because the web browser was no longer managing the backup, the later operation was not conducted.
Too bad its a feature and not a bug…