IPv6 Woes

Noticed one particular social media site was demonstrating slow performance. For the past week or so, it has been frustrating to use. And because it was only this one site, where I saw the issue, I figured it was them.

Slowness across all websites would indicate a problem on my end. Slowness on just one? It seems like their issue.

Only… There were no other people really complaining about their slowness. And it lasted far too long. So, I started picking at it.

I started with the Chrome DevTools and its Network tab to watch where there is slowness. It only presented in the images. The HTML, Cascade Style Sheets, and JavaScript all downloaded fast. The images were slow. And they came from a different server.

I started exploring under which circumstances they presented a problem by looking at the same content in different contexts. The breakthrough came from looking at the networking.

A traceroute to compare the main URL with the media URL were odd. The IP address for the main website came back with an IPv4 address while the media one was IPv6. The traceroute data showed the www site was relatively snappy while the media site timed out on most tests.

So, to verify the IPv6 was the problem, I went into adapter settings and turned it off. Then, I restarted the adapter. Now, the traceroute test looks fast for both addresses. And the page quickly loads.

This suggests either my ISP, router, modem, or computer have an issue with the IPv6. That is annoying, but I will just leave it off for now.

Netflix Wired Better

When I initially setup my Wii to use wireless, I recall information about wireless being not as good as wired. I ignored it because really I did not plan to game online. Even with Netflix, I figured it ought to work fine because the wireless speeds on my laptop allow me to watch videos without issue.

Boy, was I wrong.

The interrupts were intermittent. Sometimes I could watch an hour without interruption. Other times, it could barely go five minutes. At first, I doubted the wireless was the cause because of the issue was not consistent and the WiFi analyzer in my phone . When I gave in to the wireless, I thought perhaps I could resolve it. I decided the line of sight between the router and Wii went through a wall part of the length, so I moved both devices to improve it. This reduced the frequency of the interruptions somewhat. Boosting the signal did not help much if at all. I still had two walls between the router and the Wii, so I decided one or none might be an improvement.

Unfortunately, only two Internet outlets are hot and none are in the room with the Wii. So I would need some Ethernet cables. I ended up getting 25 feet to move the router into living room and keep the modem in the office. A 30 foot cable to connect the router with the minitower in the office. (Already had 25 feet to go to the other minitower.) Finally a 100 foot cable from the living room to the Wii plus an Ethernet to USB adapter that plugs into the Wii.

In the 6 hours of watching I have done over this, I have not had a single interruption of a show.

Yeah, so it was me not Netflix. At least I am happier now. Now if they would offer everything in my DVD queue on streaming.