Comments on my Banned Books Week 2013 post yesterday via Facebook made me wonder which of the books recently challenged according the American Library Association’s data I have actually read or plan on reading. So I compiled the 2008-2102 top 10 challenged books for 2008 through 2012 (five years) and sorted and de-duplicated the list. That is a list of 34 books or series.
Those I have already read are in bold. That appears to be five.
Those already on my to-read list are in underlined. That appears to be three.
Those I just have no interest or failed to finish are in
strike-through. That appears to be three.
This gives me a starting point to look for additional books to read.
Click through to see the list.
- The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, by Sherman Alexie.
- Alice (series), by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor
- And Tango Makes Three, by Peter Parnell and Justin Richardson.
- Beloved, by Toni Morrison
- Bless Me, Ultima, by Rudolfo Anaya
- Brave New World, by Aldous Huxley
- Captain Underpants (series), by Dav Pilkey.
- The Catcher in the Rye, by J.D. Salinger
- The Chocolate War, by Robert Cormier
- The Color of Earth (series), by Kim Dong Hwa
- The Color Purple, by Alice Walker
- Crank, by Ellen Hopkins
- The Earth, My Butt, and Other Big, Round Things, by Carolyn Mackler
Fifty Shades of Grey, by E. L. James.
- Flashcards of My Life, by Charise Mericle Harper
- The Glass Castle, by Jeanette Walls
- Gossip Girl (series), by Cecily Von Ziegesar
- His Dark Materials trilogy, by Philip Pullman
The Hunger Games trilogy, by Suzanne Collins
- The Kite Runner, by Khaled Hosseini.
- Looking for Alaska, by John Green.
- Lush, by Natasha Friend
- My Mom’s Having A Baby! A Kid’s Month-by-Month Guide to Pregnancy, by Dori Hillestad Butler
- My Sister’s Keeper, by Jodi Picoult
- Nickel and Dimed, by Barbara Ehrenreich
- The Perks of Being A Wallflower, by Stephen Chbosky
- Revolutionary Voices, edited by Amy Sonnie
- Scary Stories (series), by Alvin Schwartz
- Thirteen Reasons Why, by Jay Asher.
- To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee
- ttyl; ttfn; l8r, g8r (series), by Lauren Myracle
Twilight (series) by Stephenie Meyer
- Uncle Bobby’s Wedding, by Sarah S. Brannen
- What My Mother Doesn’t Know, by Sonya Sones