Tom Boyle, Kennesaw State University
- Half Drupal and half Desire2Learn interest.
- Request to determine how to decrease time it takes for an online student to go from application to orientation to advisement to registration.
- Orientation took place in Desire2Learn.
- Script looks for applicants in Banner and creates the user in Bulk User Management. Registrar enrolls them in the course.
- Student takes the quiz.
- Learning Tools Interoperability (LTI) is a way to integrate systems parallel to an LMS without the need for separate custom integrations. Custom output module uses D2L external learning tools and LTI.
- Drupal link is not world readable and users do not have to login. D2L configuration familiar. Open source allowed to write custom code to output to Banner. Sometimes the user does not click the button within Drupal so nothing gets captured. Maybe they should automatically click the button for them?
- YAY!! Tom is using his test instance of D2L to demo instead of production. Love it when our clients use our services right.
- URLs are not usable unless sent over by Desire2Learn ELT. Yay, for security.
- Added LTI Tool Provider and OAuth-PHP libraries to Drupal.
- Got to explain to Tom what some of the values he sees in the session variables.
- Alternative method:
- Intelligent agent emails an address to inform them the orientation is complete.
- KSU going to use similar method for putting staff into course(s) for Ethics test. Really anything where Tom needs to get new users into D2L fast.