Goal to read 25 books.
- How Doctors Think -Â Jerome Groopman – 04-JAN-2008 – A look at how doctors make mistakes. Patients should take on a more participatory role by asking the right questions and challenging doctors to be more confidence. Finished Jan 2008
- What is Intelligence?: Beyond the Flynn Effect -Â Dr. James R. Flynn – 17-JAN-2008 – Does IQ measure what it purports to measure? Flynn attempts to account for the increases of these scores increasing such that adults from generations ago would appear mentally challenged on today’s tests. Finished Jan 2008
- The Mighty and the Almighty: Reflections on America, God, and World Affairs –Madeleine Albright – 09-FEB-2008 – Former Secretary of State Albright discusses why appreciation of religion will solve many of challenges of the United States.
- Doc Holliday -Â Gary L. Roberts – 11-FEB-2008 – A biography about the gentleman rogue. Turns out the most evil man of the west was the victim of embellishments.
- Gates of Fire: An Epic Novel of the Battle of Thermopylae -Â Steven Pressfield– 25-FEB-2008 -Â Herodotus‘sÂ Histories didn’t feel compelling, but it did provide context. Frank Miller’sÂ 300 visually captured the excitement and energy we ought to feel and usually missing. Its only weakness, I thought, was context. Gates of Fire finds a great middle ground by providing both context and energy.
- Longitude: The True Story of a Lone Genius Who Solved the Greatest Scientific Problem of His Time -Â Dava Sobel – 05-MAR-2008 – I’ve been to Greenwich and seen the clocks, so it was good to better understand the importance.
- A Whole New Mind: Moving from the Information Age to the Conceptual Age -Â Daniel H. Pink – 06-MAR-2008 – How to tap into the resources for the right side of the brain in business.
- Einstein and Religion: Physics and Theology – Max Jammer – 07-MAR-2008 – Okay.
- On Education – Krishnamurti – 18-APR-2008 – Difficult to read as philosophically very different from what I believe.
- The Persian Puzzle: The Conflict Between Iran and America – Kenneth Pollack – Done – Helped me understand the difficulties and appreciate Pollack’s prescription for solving this.
- The Edison Gene: ADHD and the Gift of the Hunter Child – Thom Hartmann and Lucy Jo Palladino – Done –
- The Subtle Knife -Â Philip Pullman – Done – Possibly even better thanÂ The Golden Compass.
- The Red Queen: Sex and the Evolution of Human Nature – Matthew Ridley – Done – About theÂ Red Queen hypothesis where organisms are locked in evolutionary arms races against its parasites, other members of its species, and other species.
- The Amber Sypg